Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has whined for four days straight and she has really bad gas and stomach rumbling...

Customer Question
she has whined for four...
she has whined for four days straight and she has really bad gas and stomach rumbling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lulu
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulu?
Customer: she is almost 1 and I just treated her over the counter for worms
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Lulu can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she's been licking her lips a lot but nothing else.... her gums are pink and moist I don't believe she has eaten anything she shouldn't of but she is a puppy and she chews on everything. bathroom habits are ok... she is very gassy though and her tummy is making noises like a colicky baby
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she has not eaten a lot of her puppy food in a couple of days.... she has also been shivering a bit more too... she is a long haired chihuahua and when we do put a sweater or doggy shirt on her she pulls it off.... and the gas is very foul smelling

Thank you,

Now it is actually quite similar to what we see in babies. The increased gas in the guts will make the noise we are hearing, cause nausea (which could reduce her appetite), gas, and make them feel quite sore. So, we need to aim to settle her stomach and reduce that gas for her.

To start, since this does sound to be causing a degree of nausea, you can try Lulu on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Since her appetite is poor and her gut is upset, we can follow this with a light diet. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), cottage cheese, meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of these light diets is that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** gas itself, we can reduce that as well. To do so, we can use a low dose of Gas-X (simethicone). This is also available in formulations for babies, which would be ideal if she is quite small. For either, this can be given to your lass at a dose of 1-2 mg per pound of her body weight up to every 8 hours. As well, since the gas being odorous suggests an imbalance in good gut microflora (good bacteria), you may also want to start her on an OTC dog probiotic (ie Fortiflora) until she is settled and feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
her eyes are also very watery this am.. as if she has been crying

Hi again,

If it is teary, its likely just secondary to her being unwell. Its not likely clinically significant and should settle if we can get her back to 100%

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian