Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My min pin won't come out from behind the couch she won't let me near her and she keeps looking up shaking her head...

Customer Question
My min pin won't come...
My min pin won't come out from behind the couch she won't let me near her and she keeps looking up shaking her head side to side she won't drink she won't eat and I don't have an emergency vet
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

How is she not letting you near her? Being aggressive or just hiding?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

When you say she is shaking her head, do you mean shaking it like she irritated? Tremors? Or looking back and forth involuntarily?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has been this way for 3 hours she will cower if I try to go behind the couch and run from me if I get close she is licking her lips she is moving her head side to side almost like following something that isn't there. I was at work before I found her so it is possible she ate something she shouldn't have but I know it wasn't chemicals.

Oh dear,

Based on her signs I am concerned she has ingested something toxic. The head movement sounds neurological and the lip licking can be sign of stress but also nausea. As well, though less commonly seen, we could also see these signs if a dog had had a severe head trauma, severe seizure, liver issues, or a brain mass (bleed, swelling, tumor, etc).

Now since this sounds sudden and she is young, we'd again be most worried about toxins. And if we have no idea what she had and when, we are in a worrisome state. So, you may want to have a look around the house to see if anything has been disturbed (ie plants, bottles, etc) to see if you can determine what she has had. Otherwise, at the very least, we'd need to be thinking about starting her on OTC activated charcoal. This can be purchased at the pharmacy and give every 8 hours at a dose of 1 gram per pound of her weight. This can be mixed with water to syringe feed. And you will need to try to herd her to a room you can get ahold of her to do this. Afterwards, we'd need to monitor and keep things calm/quiet to see if she can settle.

Otherwise, since a poisoning is a worry as well as those other concerns, I have to say we'd really want to think about heading to an ER vet even if it is a trek to get there. That way they can start IV fluids while determining the cause for her signs. Depending on their findings and with their care, it will give us the best chance to clear any toxins, address those other issues if present, and give her the best chance of recovery without harm. Just to help you find the nearest emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian