Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is throwing up he can't keep anything down s back

Customer Question
My dog is throwing up...
My dog is throwing up he can't keep anything down his back legs are shaking but he has no problem get up coming to Mexplain going peek put side there are no vets around me that are open untill.money day:(
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is drinking water too on his own getting up and walking to the water. I also have a female in heat but don't no how that could contribute at all it just started today
6/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He isn't keeping anything down
Gums where pink
No tenderness ( after I pushed on it he threw up)
No on eating toys
There was a little bit this morning but just been throwing up some clear and one looked yellow

Poor lad!

First, I would note that while a female in heat could agitate a male dog, its not likely to cause GI upset. Instead, based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here)

With this all in mind, if he cannot even keep a bit of water down, we need to tread with care. This is because dogs this nauseous often need us to bypass their mouths with injectable anti-vomiting medication to be able to make headway for them. So, we may need to think about taking a trip to have him seen by a vet further afield. If you do need to do that, I'd note you can check for them via http://www.vetlocator.com/

Otherwise, we can try resting his stomach for a few hours and then trying him on an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from an open vet.

Though if we can get him settled, we can plan to start a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk in this situation, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Though if he is this nauseous, we are in a challenging situation. So, we will need to fast him for a few hours but then can try the above supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are not vets open around me he is still throwing up

Hello again,

I am sorry to hear that he is. If he is doing so despite the above, then we'd need to either rest his stomach for the next 8-12 hours until he can be seen. Or you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 to find a vet that is open today and can start him on injectable anti-nausea treatment.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used your link there's isn't anything around me

Hi again,

Then do ring the vets local to you since they should have an emergency contact number (for them or for their contracted ER) on their answering machine.

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian