Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Puppy 6 months old, started diarreaha last Sunday, vet put m

Customer Question
puppy 6 months old, started...
puppy 6 months old, started diarreaha last Sunday, vet put him on Metronidazole 500 mg (1/2 pill) on Monday -- he is still loose. To get him to eat his pill I added plain yogurt.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he is fine no vomitting, no lethargy... I was told by someone that I shouldn't be feeding the yogurt with the Metronidazole.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I have another dog that had the same thing and it took 7 days to get her stool solid.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that you puppy has diarrhea. I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. How long ago did your other dog have loose stools?

2. I'm assuming that a fecal was checked for internal parasites?

3. Did your vet suggest a change in diet?

4. How much does your puppy weigh?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rocki started a week ago Friday, and Cassin (puppy) started Sunday -- I called vet and they gave me Metronidazole 500 mg. Rocki got 1 pill once a day and Cassin received 1/2 pill once a day. Rocki has firmed up as of today. (Rocki is 6 yrs old btw). Cassin is a happy loving Cattle Dog that weighs roughly 25 lbs. Cassin is acting very normal. I feed Fromm puppy gold to Cassin (since it is chicken) and I added a tablespoon of yogurt to eat the pill. I was told that I shouldn't be feeding yogurt by a friend with Metronidazole.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've added white rice to his food. as well.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

First, let me reassure you that there's no contraindications to giving yogurt or other dairy products with Metronidazole. So, if this is the only way you can get him to take his medication, then that's fine.

Given the timeline for the development and subsequent resolution of Rocki's diarrhea and now Cassin's issues with his stools, I'd have to suspect that you may be dealing with a bacterial or viral infection....although I wouldn't entirely rule out intestinal parasites either since they can be contagious between dogs (not usually in such a short time frame though).

If that's the case, then it may take 5-7 days for Cassin's stools to become normal. But since he's otherwise acting fine, then I might worry too much.

His dose of Metronidazole is exactly what I would have prescribed for a dog this size so I'm glad your vet and I are on the same page about this medication (many vets tend to dose it really low).

I do have a few suggestions which may be of help.

1. A bland diet of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20 minute white rice will be better for him than his regular kibble and rice together. I'd feed several, smaller meals throughout the day.

We typically recommend avoiding fat when dogs have looser stools.

When his stools firm up, then slowly transition over to his regular kibble; this process will take about 7 days.

2. Start him on a canine probiotic such as Forti Flora which may be available at local pet or grain stores. Yogurt is not a bad probiotic for humans but isn't a very effective one for dogs. Culturelle is one exception, though, and is one which I have advised in the past for my patients.

I hope this helps, especially to reassure you about the yogurt you were giving him. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with him? Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cassin is doing very well - firming up nicely

That's great news; thanks for taking the time to let me know:)

Kind regards, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian