Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 8 yr. old Westie ate some burned bacon scrapes I had

Customer Question
dumped in the garden. @...
Our 8 yr. old Westie ate some burned bacon scrapes I had dumped in the garden. @ hours later she threw up and had diaria. She is constantly whining which she never does. I have applied gold water towels to her stomach as it is a warm day here in South Carolina. What can I give her to relieve her obvious stomach pains???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Rachelle has been vomiting and had diarrhea and whining after eating burned bacon scraps.

In many cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors, eating a new food or esophageal reflux. These simple causes seem to come and go within 24-48 hours. More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Since we know this started after adding the bacon scraps I am inclined to believe that may be the instigating factor. If a dog has a dietary sensitivity that can change gastrointestinal motility (thus vomiting and diarrhea) and increase acid reflux. Because bacon is high in fat and salt it can also trigger a painful bout of pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas leading to enzyme over production, abdominal pain and vomiting. Pancreatitis can lead to peritonitis and sepsis so you do need to keep a close eye on her.

It may also be helpful to put her on an acid reducing medication as too much stomach acid and reflux is very irritating and predisposes to vomiting. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are both acid reducers and either one may help her feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would with-hold all food for 24 hours to rest her gastrointestinal tract.

After her food fast feed her a low residue, low irritant, homemade, easy to digest food for the next few days. A bland homemade diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Feed small meals several times a day. You can also give her probiotics to replace good bacteria in her gut. Fortiflora, Proviable and Benebac are very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them.

Once she's feeling better then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, and some diagnostic testing. I would start with a complete blood count and biochemistry profile, a specific test for pancreatitis called canine specific pancreatic lipase, as well as fecal checks for parasites.

Please let me know if you have other details or a particular question based upon my response.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian