Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has started panting more and her gums are light pink. She is a Bassett hound 7 years old and 60lbs...

Customer Question
She has started panting more...
She has started panting more and her gums are light pink. She is a Bassett hound 7 years old and 60lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Josie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: She usually always acts like it is a chore to get from point A to point B
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Those are worrisome symptoms of anemia. I need you to do a few things for me, please...

1) Check her conjunctival and tongue color in addition to her gums. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate . She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her tongue and conjuctivi are pink and her respirations are 40 and her temp is 100.9

Thank you! Her elevated respiratory rate is worrisome for advanced cardiopulmonary disease or metabolic acidosis - a lower pH of the blood than normal as seen with many metabolic disorders. Please don't hesitate to have Josie's vet perform a thorough physical exam including chest X-rays and a diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests.

I can't rule out that Josie is painful which can be addressed with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) or narcotic. A 7 year old bassett may suffer from painful osteoarthritis. Have you noticed lameness, difficulty rising or navigating stairs, or a general "creakiness"?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Definetely!!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not lame but very difficult going up and down stairs( only 2) and going in and out the doggie door

Thank you! Josie's a good candidate for having a T4 (total thyroid blood test) performed to see if she's hypothyroid and if not, having an NSAID initiated to see how it affects her. Ofcourse, one doesn't preclude the other! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What sort of NSAID is usually given to dogs

Carprofen, meloxicam, deracoxib, and firocoxib are the most commonly prescribed ones. Aspirin can be dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily in a pinch. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian