Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What can I do to easy my pup's allergies? She scratches

Customer Question
What can I do to...
What can I do to easy my pup's allergies?She scratches and licks her paws and belly until they're raw. The vet recommended putting her on puppy Benadryl, but that just puts her to sleep. I've given her oatmeal baths, but that's only a temporary fix & she back to it in 20 minutes. She, like all dogs, hates the E collar & that doesn't prevent the scratching.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
Allergies can be incredibly frustrating. Benadryl is not that effective for allergies in dogs... I usually tell people to expect only a 10% reduction in itching with Benadryl.
The best way to solve allergies is to avoid contact with whatever they are allergic to. This isn't usually possible. With belly and paw itching I would suspect that this is an environmental allergy... Such as grass or pollen. However, it could be a food allergy. It might be worth trying a hypoallergenic diet.
Short of avoiding the allergen, there is nothing that is perfect, but there are several things that you can do. First, if this is pollen/grass allergy, it can help to wipe your puppy down with a wet washcloth several times a day and bath with oatmeal shampoo weekly. It can also help to put them on fish oil to keep their skin healthy.
However, if their allergies are as bad as you are describing you will probably need some prescription medication.... First, if there is an infection associated with the rash then antibiotics would be needed. After that, you need something to directly reduce the itching. There is a new medication called Apoquel that is very effective in some dogs with minimal side effects. Ask your veterinarian about it. If it doesn't work, then you can try something called Temaril P. This is a combination cortisone/antihistamine that can be very effective for itching. However, because it does have some cortisone in it there are some risk of side effects if you are using it long term or at high doses. As your veterinarian about both of these medications!
I hope that that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He did mention the 2nd medication... And the possible side effects. :/As far as source, if it was a food allergy, would this type of thing come on suddenly at the age of 2.5 even if she's always been on the same food?
food allergies are acquired so they can come on after being on a food for a long time. Usually it is the protein source that the allergy is to.... So if she is on chicken, switch to lamb.
I wouldn't hesitate to use Temaril P to get her allergies under control. The side effects tend to be a problem when it is used long term, but trying it short term just to get them under control is not much risk at all.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much for your advice! :)
Best wishes!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian