Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How do i make my dog throw up? I think he ate some squirrel

Customer Question

How do i make my dog throw up? I think he ate some squirrel bait
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

What was the active ingredient?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i believe this morning. Wolferen ( SP?)
he weighs 48#
Not sure of the Wolferen, its what they use to kill squirrels. Little blue pellets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
live in the country. we have had this happen before and gave one of our dogs peroxide and water to throw up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Would you say >2 hours ago?

Did you mean Warfarin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say it tastes like candy to the dogs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HHHEEELLLLLO?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

You are right that the baits are very palatable to all animals, as that is how they lure rodents to eat it. Now if it has been >2 hours, I have to warn you that the window for inducing vomiting to avoid any harm has already passed. We need to be there right away when inducing vomiting. Of course any delay post eating and some absorption will occur and risk of poisoning becomes a worry. Though just to note for a 48lb, one would use 20-48ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally up to 3 times to induce vomiting.

So, with that being of limited help her, we can start activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, since there has been some absorption in this time frame, your wee one will have to be seen by your local vet so that Vitamin K1 can be started. This will counter the effects of the toxin (which can last for weeks) and prevent it from stopping his blood from clotting and causing any fatal bleeds.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

As you can see I was typing a treatment plan while waiting for you to answer those questions I asked.

Please take care,

Dr. B.