How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20632
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

70 lb English Bulldog ingested 1/2 of a 550 naproxen

Customer Question

70 lb English Bulldog ingested 1/2 of a 550 naproxen Tuesday,he's still wanting to eat and drink and walk but vomited blood yesterday around 1 pm.this morning has had what I think is 2 seizures where he wets himself. what can we give him to help him until I vet opens in 5 hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the English bulldog?
Customer: He peed good just a few minutes ago and he has an appetite.walking around fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood did you see in his vomit?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

How long ago were the seizures?

Any black stool?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and with how serious a situation this is, I want to leave my thoughts in case you are having trouble replying.

First, I have to note that I am quite concerned about your lad.

This drug has a very narrow safety margin for dogs and the dose he has had isn’t just likely to cause stomach ulcers (likely why we are seeing blood) but can also perforate the stomach and is unfortunately high enough to damage his kidneys (which could cause the seizures).

Now at this point, we are past a stage where we can block absorption and instead have to focus on damage control. If he is showing those signs you reported now, has pale gums, belly pain or is passing quite a bit of blood or black stool; then we'd really want to have him seen at this point to avoid any risk of stomach perforation or kidney failure.

Otherwise, if there is any delay or he is stable without those signs, we'd want to start an OTC antacid to lower stomach acid, reduce nausea, and reduce the risk of his stomach perforating. OTC options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ As well, liquid ones (ie Milk of Magnesia – 0.5tsp every 8 hours) can help reduce nausea but also coat the stomach. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, we want to give small frequent meals (if he will keep them down) to give his stomach something else to chew on besides the ulcer. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).

Overall, this is a very worrying situation and it sounds like we already have an ulcer present. In a case like this and since we cannot see the ulcer or know how deep it is already, we need to be very careful. We can use the above until his vet is open, but any paling of the gums, belly pain, black stools, or if he cannot keep the above down; and we’d want him to be seen sooner to be safe and get him onto treatment +/- IV fluids to limit harm from this.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?