Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4.5lb puppy just ate a preparation H 25mg suppository...

Customer Question
Not sure what to do?!?...
My 4.5lb puppy just ate a preparation H 25mg suppository... Not sure what to do?!?! Is this toxic?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes a Preparation H suppository 25mg
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Hydrocortisone acetate 25 mg suppository
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Beth, is there another active ingredient such as phenylephrine in that suppository? I'm not aware of a Preparation H suppository containing hydrocortisone although other brands do. If that's the only ingredient nothing need be done because hydrocortisone is a very weak glucocorticosteroid and the most I'd expect in your pup is transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea after ingesting such an unusual "food".

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cocoa butter, shark liver oil and phenyl epitome hcl
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I induce vommiting

Yes, with just 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with an eyedropper or small poultry baster between your puppy's cheek teeth and cheek. He/she should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then what after she vomits?

Nothing is needed to be done after she vomits. My primary concern is the phenylephrine but its bioavailability by the oral route is very small and so I expect your puppy to remain safe.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no hydrogen peroxide & I looked closely at the suppository wrapper...it looks like she probably only got about 1/2 of it... She is sleeping peacefully & hearttste is normal... I will have her sleep in my room

I agree. Leave her alone. She should do nicely. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian