Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Xena our 10 month old german sheperd throws up a yellowish

Customer Question
foamy substance sometimes in the...
Xena our 10 month old german sheperd throws up a yellowish foamy substance sometimes in the morning before eating and sometimes in the evening before dinner. What do you think it may be?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Xena
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Xenia?
Customer: She buros somet times
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Burps
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say that it always happens when she is on an empty stomach?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- How long has this been going on?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 yes
2 65lbs
3 maybe 3 months but not every day
4 no

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with "bilious vomiting," we don't exactly know why it happens but believe that it is related to the acid production in the empty stomach that causes the dog to vomit. A very easy solution is to divide her meal to 3-4 times a day including a snack before bed. Or, you can give her Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg at bed time. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. If she continues to vomit after doing these changes I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian