Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I was taking my meds & I dropped Ambein (Zolpidem 6.25 mg Er

Customer Question

I was taking my meds & I dropped Ambein (Zolpidem 6.25 mg Er tablet, my minpin (abt 10 mo old, & 9 #) beat me to it & I stuck my finger down his throat. It was gone & she hasn't thrown up. What do I do & will she b ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the drugs that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

However if you fail to induce vomiting any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must admit that service was not what I expected. I felt answer was basic. Referring me to a link to find vomiting solutions was not rec'd well, costing me more time in caring for my puppy. Was not satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up looking into poison control petline, followed by calling/waking my vetenarian to get Real Feedback.

Hello again,

I am sorry you are not happy with my answer.

Please understand that with a potential toxicity my aim is not to waste time typing but to reply as soon as possible and get the right information into the client's hands as soon as possible and providing a link is often the best way to do this.

I then stand by for an hour or so to be available to the client either by phone or by typing back and forward here.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After reading your last response, I suggest having a notebook or small computer that you can refer to, when u r txting back & forth so u can give pet owner direct info instead of referring to another site. The pet owner is under stress w/their beloved pet in trouble, & it's more wasted time when the doc should have info.

Thanks for getting back to me, I know this must have been a stressful situation for you ...

It's all about speed of response and accuracy, however the main thing is your dog's welfare, how is your dog, did she come through this without too much of a problem?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She finally settled down after 3am. She went thru a period of time where she was "I'll say: hallucinating". She started w/being scared of her own tail. Then it expanded to the ceiling & floor & her ordinary play toys. Imaginary things which she parked at. Today she's back to normal, thank God.

So glad to hear she came through this OK, long term side effects would not be expected with this drug once it has naturally drained from the dog's system.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?