Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an english bulldog she is in heat. She is swollen is

Customer Question
there anything i can do...
I have an english bulldog she is in heat. She is swollen is there anything i can do to help poop
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....the safest thing you can do to help your dog with defecation is to add some canned pumpkin to her diet. It is unusual for dogs to become constipated during a heat cycle. They usually have loose stool and straining when they are in heat......so make sure that is not the case before you try the pumpkin. Sometimes people will see their dogs outside straining and will think that means they are constipated but they can have diarrhea so just be sure. If your dog is constipated then 1/2 cup of pumpkin at each meal would help. Let me know if I can be of further help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is in heat she usually gets swollen but ive never really noticed she has problems going to the restroom till now is there something i can do about the swelling

So unfortunately there is not anything that can be done about the swelling other than a hysterectomy which you should not do when she is in heat. The only thing you can do is keep her clean and comfortable. Make sure she does not have any of her vagina hanging out as this is an emergency........and use pumpkin for stool softener. Can I answer any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i will get pumkin home much should i give her she weighs 35 pounds her vagina isnt hanging out looks normal just swollen

ok, I would give her 1/4 cup of the pumpkin mixed with her food twice daily until she starts having good poops and then back off to smallest amount that will maintain nice poops. Do you have any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope thank you for tour help

You are welcome. I would appreciate a rating for my service. Thank you very much. Sincerely, DRB

Hi Harold Hanvey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian