Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keep licking an biting at her back end. I have tried everything from baths, creams, changed her food.

Customer Question
My dog keep licking an...
My dog keep licking an biting at her back end.
I have tried everything from baths, creams, changed her food. She has a rash an I want it to go away! What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Van Noy

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Ziva.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to ear your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• How long has this issue been going on?
  • Have you seen any fleas on her?
  • What do you currently use for flea control? When was it last applied/given?
  • Are you able to take a picture and upload it for me to see?

I’ll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you for using our website.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ZIVA has had this promlem for bout 6 months, I have tried flea collars an liquid flea medicine from local stores. I just used the liquid last month but from her licking an bitting herself she is making it worse. I am not at home so I am unable to provide a pic. Looks like a skin condition.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just want to make us feel better...want this problem to disappear...please help.
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

There are a number of reasons for skin infections. This time of year, the number one thing I see is Flea Allergy Dermatitis and secondary skin infections. Dogs are allergic to the saliva of the flea bite. This causes them to itch and bite, often causing a secondary bacterial skin infection. If she's having an ongoing issue, it sounds like she needs to be seen by your vet. Many of the flea liquids purchased at stores don't kill the flea before it bites the dog, so the cycle is never broken. Your vet will carry a flea medication that will kill the flea before it bites Ziva. Two of my favorites are oral medications- Nexgard and Simparica, which are both prescription products that work great! Ziva may also need antibiotics and a topical spray to treat any skin infection she may have. I would recommend getting her in for an exam by your vet ASAP. Fleas and skin infections are no fun for anyone! It may be something else, as I've talked about the most common thing I see this time of the year, but since it is ongoing, a good physical exam is the first step.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I’ve provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you’ve rated my response. I’ll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I’ve done my best to provide you the most accurate, thorough, and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.

Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ziva. How is everything going?

Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy