Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a grey hound whippet mix and he ate chocolate cherrios through a plastic bag...

Customer Question
Hi there I have a...
Hi there I have a grey hound whippet mix and he ate chocolate cherrios through a plastic bag
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the hound will be able to digest that. What is the hound's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 2 or 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Do you know approximately how many he ate? How many ounces of chocolate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a small bag that he ate threw I am not sure ounces but I am thinking about 2/3 of a cup.

Chances are, this should not be enough to cause any issues.

Chocolate toxicity signs occur in three phases:
1. Mild ingestion- increased drinking/ thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, excitation
2. Moderate ingestion- cardiac arrhythmias
3. Severe Ingestion- muscle tremors, seizures, death

This amount of chocolate is unlikely to cause a problem in your dog. It's well below the dose that is needed for the cardiac or neurologic toxicity signs. You may see a little GI upset (mild diarrhea) and increased drinking/ urination for 1-2 days as chocolate is a potent diuretic.

If you want to give something for the vomiting, you can give Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours. If you want to give something for the diarrhea, you can give 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin (for the fiber content) 2-3 times daily for 2-3 days.

Other than that, the main thing you want to do is offer small frequent amounts of water and make sure she urinates every 2-4 hours for the next 24-48 hours as chocolate can be reabsorbed over the bladder wall. If any neurologic signs (tremors/ seizures) then you have to go to an ER vet right away as these guys need Valium injections.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian