Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 65 lb. 6 month old Blk. Lab mix just ate my 10mg.

Customer Question

My 65 lb. 6 month old Blk. Lab mix just ate my 10mg. Amlodipine, will it make him sick?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 6am
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The website doesnt allow me to see your time zone, was that less or more than 2 hours ago?

How is she at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had my medication on the counter and I walked away for a minute, turned around and he was up there licking my medication and he ate a baby asprin and my blood pressure med. It's been about 30 minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is fine at the moment, playing and running around
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now the good news is that this is a drug we do use in dogs, therefore this is not an outright poisoning. That said, this was a 3x overdose for his size. Therefore, this could affect his blood pressure which could lead to lethargy, weakness, wobbliness, changes to the heart and breathing rate, fainting, and collapse.

Therefore, since he just had this, we don't yet have absorption and signs, and an unknown volume of aspirin (>5mg/kg would risk GI upset too), we'd be best to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 65 lbs, so that would be a lot of perioxide. Would it be too late, if I just take him to the vet when they open in two hrs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's currently eating his dry kibble now. He still is acting alright
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

He will seem normal since he is at a point where his absorption of the drug has just started. We act now to avoid that from happening and signs then developing.

If you wish you can start with a base dose of 20ml if you don’t wish to give the full volume. Otherwise, in 2 hours it will be too late for your vet to induce vomiting but they could still use the activated charcoal step to at least reduce the amount he can absorb at that stage. Though we could still see mild signs and they may need to put him onto fluids to support him over the next 24 hours.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks, ***** ***** try the 20ml right now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )