Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 6 yr old female German shorthair pointer. She has 1

Customer Question
Hi I have a 6...
Hi I have a 6 yr old female German shorthair pointer. She has 1 shaky back leg at rest and standing. She loves to run jump and swim and shows no sign of pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Juneau
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Juneau?
Customer: She came to Canada from Australia
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You appear to be describing a tremor syndrome in Juneau. Tremors are sudden contractions of a group of muscle cells followed by immediate relaxation. There are three main considerations in such a patient as Juneau. The first is an orthostatic tremor which is a fine tremor of the postural muscles that occurs only while standing, squatting to urinate/defecate, or attempting to lie down and subsides when walking, running, or in recumbency. This would be an unusual presentation of this type of tremor for because her tremor persists at rest. The second is a postural repetitive myoclonus - a pelvic limb tremor in dogs considered to be benign which occurs while standing but resolves when moving or recumbent. Once again this would be an unusual presentation of this type of tremor for because her tremor persists at rest. The third is a more coarse type of tremor called a sporadic myoclonus - sudden contraction or a muscle group such as limb jerk. These may be benign or represent focal seizure activity.

A picture is worth 1000 words in these cases. If Juneau's vet (or I) can see Juneau's behavior in a video or in person, the diagnosis will be easier to make. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian