Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My Maltese Shitzu just chewed on part of a cooked wooden

Customer Question

My Maltese Shitzu just chewed on part of a cooked wooden skewer. He seems happy and fine and I am unsure if he swallowed any of it. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rosie,

My name is***** and I will help you.

I want you to induce vomiting. How much does Tank weigh?

I have not heard from you but let me tell you what to do. Using 3% hydrogen peroxide give 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of body weight. So if Tank weighs 10 pounds you would give 2 tsp of the hydrogen peroxide mixed in milk or a small amount of food. He should vomit in 10 to 15 minutes.

That way you will know for sure if he swallowed some of the skewer. This must be done within the first 2 hours after you saw him chewing on the skewer.

If it is more than 2 hours watch for any vomiting or abdominal pain. If he shows either of these symptoms take him to your veterinarian.

I hope that this has helped you and that Tank will be alright.

Please rate this service.

Dr Marta

Hi Rosie,

It's been an hour since I emailed you and you have not responded.

I'm going to sign off now but I'll check with you tomorrow.

Dr Marta

Good morning Rosie,

Hope everything is fine with your little dog. Could you just send me a short email so I know how it all turned out.

Thanks,

Dr Marta