Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12 year old bichon frise Yesterday he cried when walking on his own and since then he has been shaking...

Customer Question
Hello I have a 12...
Hello I have a 12 year old bichon frise
Yesterday he cried when walking on his own and since then he has been shaking and walking like if he didn't have control of his back legs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he hang eaten since yesterday.. What can I do about that?

You can do a few things:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours about 15 minutes before attempting a meal
- Small frequent meals of white rice and lean boiled meat to entice the appetite yet be bland as well

If he is not eating then I wouldn't push food. He could be nauseous from not feeling well or simply has a lack of appetite and feeding can result in vomiting if either is the case. Dogs can go many days without a meal and have no ill effects. Once on pain medications he should feel better but the bland diet might be enough to get him interested in eating again

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another 30 minutes to assist you this evening

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian