Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Just brought her home from knee surgery. They gave her

Customer Question

Just brought her home from knee surgery. They gave her Tramadol which works on how her brain senses pain. Can I combine it with Metacam which is an analgesic??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mona...5 year old Jackabee...had to have knee subluxation and torn knee ligament surgery..
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mona?
Customer: No...no other health conditions.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's a smart combination of drugs for Mona and should have been prescribed post-surgery. Dosing of meloxicam (Metacam) remains at 0.1 mg/lb initially and then 0.05 mg/lb daily thereafter even with tramadol on board. The new dosing guideline for tramadol is 2-5 mg/lb up to thrice daily as needed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say "initially" does that mean first 24 hours or first several days after surgery, Doctor?? She weights 30 Lbs.

The first day...if Mona were administered the meloxicam by injection directly following her surgery you would dose at 0.05 mg/lb daily at this time.

30 lbs x 0.1 mg/lb = 3 mg

30 lbs x 0.05 mg/lb = 1.5 mg

There should be guidelines on the label and on the product insert as well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the liquid to be taken orally. I see the dosing on the syringe for 30lb dogs. The box says it's 1.5mg in strength. How frequently should I be giving her this? The Tramadol says 1/2 tablet w wry 8 hours.

Tramadol dosing is low at 25 mg (1/2 of a 50 mg tablet) thrice daily. If you think she needs more analgesia you can increase to 50 mg thrice daily.

The concentration of her meloxicam is 1.5 mg/mL and so on the first day you would give 2 mL once and on subsequent days you would give 1 mL once until she normalizes or as her surgeon directs.