Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My dog's front paw is showing a swollen area near the back

Customer Question

my dog's front paw is showing a swollen area near the back part of the foot at the pad... Thought it might be a sticker but not positive - trying to check out what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: no I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

Hi there- i am Dr. Kane and will be assisting you with your questions about Bailey tonight. I am sorry to hear he is having this problem. Does the paw seem sore? Any chance you can upload a photo of the swelling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't see to be bothering him - he was chewing on it a bit but has stopped.... It was pink and now its is more white....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do those help?

Has it been leaking any fluid?

And yes- thank you for the pictures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are dog park (we went about 10 days ago) has rough cut mulch on the walk-way - was thinking it may be a sticker? But thought it would start to work its way out by now. Not that I am aware of... There was a small spot on his blankets a couple days ago - rust colored but not any more than that...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - auto correct - our dog park....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less than dime size spot

It's hard to say for sure from the pictures- but it appears to be more of a growth than an abscess from a sticker. You can try soaking it in a warm Epsom salt bath twice daily to see if this helps draw anything out. Based on how this looks- I think it would be worth a trip to his vet for it to be examined and potentially tested. In the meantime- make sure he is not licking at it- use a cone collar if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I will try the warm Epsom salts.... Hoping it works it's way out.... Will take him to the vet. He is a good boy and hasn't been licking it... :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!

No problem! Did you have any other questions I can address tonight? I hope it is nothing too serious. He is lucky to have you looking out for him! When you have a moment, please provide a rating for me.