Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 15 pound Lhso Apso and for the past 2 days he has become very irritable, biting at people, not eating...

Customer Question
We have a 15 pound...
We have a 15 pound Lhso Apso and for the past 2 days he has become very irritable, biting at people, not eating, drinking a lot of water. He is scared of every noise he hears.He drops his tail and go from room to room cowering. I do not know if he ate something bad. He has thrown up white foam like substance. He is still going to the bathroom. If he did get into something what do I do to get him better.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms.

Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.

The hiding and increased fear can occur with ingestion of something but also if he is not feeling well due to whatever the underlying cause is he will be hypersensitive to his environment. This can be diabetes, cushing's disease, but as you said something that he ingested.

With his symptoms I would not advise waiting it out since there is no resolution in 2 days time. In addition, we are going into the weekend which increases risk of an emergency visit if things escalate. He is really not feeling well and getting answers now versus monitoring and possibly putting his life at risk is not advised.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today. I truly hope he is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I will be away from my computer for a little over an hour to see an appointment but will return tonight to see if you have responded and I have missed you in the next few moments...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has not eaten at all today do we just give him a couple of days and have him only on water. I have been wiping his face with a cool wash clothes. He just lays listless. He does come when you call him and he does not want to be held. I really think he did eat some poison or something as he usually only throws up after bad food. He is still urinating but has not pooped. Is there anything at all I can do to make him more comfortable.

Without knowing what is causing the change it is very difficult to say what can help at home. Often even if something is ingested that is toxic (let's say antifreeze) there is no home remedy and treating symptoms with iv supportive care, giving anti nausea medications and pain medications are the best way to help them through the episode.

If you simply will not bring him in
- Keep him in a low lit room
- Pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours
- Bland diet of frequent small meals of white rice and lean boiled meat that has a distinct odor such as bison meat or jarred baby food as an alternative adding water to each option

Dogs can vomit due to toxins but also if organ function has been affected. The continued vomiting puts him at risk for dehydration and the aggression and listlessness indicate pain. CLICK HERE for a pain assessment form to aid in understanding his pain level

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian