Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is on prednisone and has semi milky in color discharge (occasionally) out of left nostril when he sneezes. Our vet

Customer Question
He is on prednisone and...
He is on prednisone and has semi milky in color discharge (occasionally) out of left nostril when he sneezes. Our vet has said ok to give Benadryl because of reverse hiccups . Is ok to combine the 2 medications?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Paco. 10 year old Chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paco?
Customer: Not a A lot of energy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Van Noy

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Paco. I love Chihuahuas! I have 2 myself. ;)

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to ear your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

It is okay to give Prednisone and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at the same time. We often do that with dogs that have allergies. You mention Paco doesn't have a lot of energy. Is this new? Associated with the nasal discharge? Is he improving with the medications?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian