Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has bumps all over s body : Oliver 1.5 years old : No

Customer Question

He has bumps all over his body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver 1.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: No this is the first time he's had this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Do they look like hives or pimples/pustules?

Are they itchy ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 day, yes his coat is raised and has a rash like red bumps on his belly and legs, his eyes are also red
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are itchy, he's really uncomfortable.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on your description of all of his signs, this sounds like an allergic reaction. We can see this triggered this time of year by insect bites/stings but also plants or allergens a dog may eat.

In these cases, we can often soothe mild allergic reactions with antihistamines. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). We'd want to start him on a low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8 hours) to counter the allergic reaction. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Further to this you can bathe him in emollient shampoos (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones) to reduce the irritation. Though if his signs are very severe, we do sometimes need their vets to treat with strong injectable steroids to halt the reaction and these signs for them.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is better, the benadryl worked. We discovered that he was laying in a hole he dug up in the yard and that would cause him the rash, we covered it and he's now better. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, my dear.

I glad that you found the source and that we were able to soothe that reaction for him.

All the best,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------