How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16334
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 9 yr old 23# Yorkie at 1 of my effexo pills. I got a lot

Customer Question

My 9 yr old 23# ***** at 1 of my effexo pills. I got a lot of it out. It happened about 1 hr ago
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of veterinary experience. I am sorry to hear that your 23 pound pup ate part of an Effexor pill.

What size tablet did she eat?

Was it the regular type or extended release?
If she just ate this it's worth trying to get her to vomit the pieces back up.
You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight directly with a medicine syringe or turkey baster, or soaked up with bread chunks or mixed with ice cream.
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if you can see any the pill pieces.
We see toxicity signs at 2mg to 3mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight, so basically if she ate more than 1 mg per pound of body weight it is a toxic dose.
I would expect side effects of extreme agitation, and at a dose of 16mg per pound we can see seizures.
If she ingested more than 23mgs and you don't have peroxide then get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting and have them induce vomiting.
You should see signs of toxicity some time within 30 minutes to 6 hours after ingestion.
At the emergency clinic they can also give her activated charcoal to minimize any leftover pill ingestion and fluids to flush the toxin out of her body as well as drugs to treat hyperexcitability, tremors or seizures should they occur.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****