Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She ate my effexor. I got most of it out . What should I watch

Customer Question

She ate my effexor. I got most of it out . What should I watch for
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hailey she is a nine yr old 13 # ***** I got a lot of it out of her mouth
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hailey?
Customer: She's just laying on the flor like usual. It happened about an he ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If you got most of it out then the chances are she will be just fine, however if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include agitation, tremors and incoordination.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Hailey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental Effexor ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?