Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

She had what looks like an alergic reaction yesterday, large

Customer Question

She had what looks like an alergic reaction yesterday, large bumps all over her rear end and a swollen face. Today the bumps have shrunk dramatically and face is no longer swollen, but her neck is super saggy now is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley 3 years old
JA: How old is Harley?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane and would like to try and help you out with Harley tonight. Is there any chance you can upload a photo of her neck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I added files correctly

Yes you did, and I have reviewed them. I see what you mean about her neck, and it looks like she is missing patches of hair on her rump as well. She may have had an allergic reaction, but it looks like she may have a bit of a skin infection as well. Ideally, she would be seen by a veterinarian to help treat these conditions. In the meantime you may give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine) tablets- 1 mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours, to see if this helps with the swelling in her neck. EX- if she is 50 lb- you would give her 50 mg, or 2 of the 25 mg benadryl tablets. This may help address the swelling and any itchiness she is experiencing. However, she may also need an antibiotic if there is indeed a skin infection, for which she would need to see her doctor for. Has this helped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We gave her benadryl last night when the lumps on her back and face started getting worse over the span of a couple hours. The bumps went down and the neck looks saggy today

You can give her the benadryl safely up to every 12 hours- I would go ahead and give her another dose, and then check in with her vet if you're not seeing resolution of the neck swelling by tomorrow. Any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the correct amount of liquid child's benadryl to give to a 40 pound dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not have the tablets but I do have children's benadryl

For the liquid childrens benadryl just make sure there are no artificial sweeteners (specifically xylitol). If the strength is 12.5 mg/5 ml, her dose would be 15 ml- it may be easier to give her the tablets (you can give 1.5 tablets).

If you have no other questions, please provide me with a rating when you have a moment. I hope Harley feels better soon!

Hi there- I am Dr. Kane and will assist you with Lambchop today. I'm sorry to hear about him getting into foxtails- those little things can be quite a nuisance! Most likely- if he swallowed it and it has passed into his stomach, it will pass out with his stool. It is good you gave him some food and water to assist with this. There are some instances when foxtails can migrate throughout the body and cause problems. If he starts gagging or pawing at his face, it may be possible it could have lodged in the back of the throat, or in the tonsillar pouch- if this occurs- bring him to his vet so they can examine his throat under sedation. Most likely though- he will be fine! Has this helped?

Sorry- that last response was meant for another customer.

Please provide a rating when you have a moment.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!