Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

After supper in the evenings he pants a lot : he's an

Customer Question
after supper in the evenings...
after supper in the evenings he pants a lot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he's an english bulldog about 7-9 years old
JA: Where does the English bulldog seem to hurt?
Customer: imaybe his stomach. but he''s done this for as long as i can remember
JA: OK. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Hoover
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hoover?
Customer: his food is the same as always boiled chicken. nothing different
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Sometimes if i give him a bath he goes to sleep aqnd is down for th enight
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry Hoover has this behavior after meals. I can definitely give you some thoughts to try but if this is unsuccessful you may want to videotape an episode to have your veterinarian review it for further feedback

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours about 15 minutes before meals
- More frequent smaller meals with elevated food and water bowls (less swallowing of air in a short nosed breed when eating off the ground)
- Add water to the meals to aid in digestion
- If able a 10-15 minute walk about 15-30 minutes after meals. Not running around but simple leash walks to aid in emptying of the stomach and reducing buildup of gas in the stomach as well

I have had a few patients that this has been quite successful with and has resolved the symptoms you mentioned. If there is no change you may want to ask your veterinarian for a dose of simethicone (gas-x) for him as well

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian