Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a plastic crew toy and few days ago. Her behavior

Customer Question
seems normal, but my husband...
My dog ate a plastic crew toy and few days ago. Her behavior seems normal, but my husband just informed me that's she has had diarrhea for the past 2 days and again this morning. We work opposite schedules and didn't put this together until today. What should we do? Are the two related?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nala
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Naal?
Customer: No. She's been a bit moody lately, but that started with a heat have we had, not the toy. She's actually been quite playful the last few days as the temperature returned to normal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Nala is not feeling well.

Is Nala straining to defecate?

Any blood in the stool?

Any vomiting?

Is her appetite normal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She ate the toy 3 days ago and has had diahreaa the past 2 and this morning.She doesn't seem to be straining - the first day she passed a piece of plastic.No blood in stool, just diahreaa.She vomitted one time the first day.Completely normal appetite, she is a pig :)

I see. It is likely there is either another piece of plastic moving through, or this is just inflammation from the original piece of plastic.

I would start by giving her a bland diet such as plain boiled chicken and plain white rice. You can also give a single 2mg loperamide (Immodium) tablet to help get the diarrhea to stop. Give her 24 hours. If she is still having diarrhea or starts to have vomiting or lack of appetite, then she should head to the vet for a good exam +/- x-rays, however it is likely this will pass with some time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it matters, she also ate a raw egg that morning (same day she ate the toy), not the shell- just the egg as it dropped and broke away cleanly from the shell.Thank you for your help. We will begin this diet today.

I see.

The raw egg could also be the issue. Raw eggs exposes them to salmonella (which is carried by all chickens and raw chicken products), which can lead to diarrhea that sometimes can be very severe. Sounds like you probably have a combination of both.

I think bland diet and Immodium should still be helpful, however if there is still diarrhea with Immodium take her to the vet to make sure there is nothing else going on besides a little upset stomach.

I wish you both the best.

Hopefully she is feeling better soon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She had a bad night Friday and we ended up at the emergency vet. She had very weak back legs. He thought it wasn't related to the toy and just took blood (they have not yet gotten the results and I'm very unhappy with this vet for this). She seems better today, threw up some of the toy and no longer has diarrhea. I am hoping she passes the last of the toy this evening or I am taking her to our regular vet first thing in the morning. Thank you for your help with this.

Im glad to hear she is feeling better today.

Hopefully she will be 100% normal soon.

I wish you both the best. Please let me know if there is any other information I can help you with.

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian