Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 53 lb dog who had a piece of a chocalate macadamia

Customer Question
I have a 53 lb...
I have a 53 lb dog who had a piece of a white chocalate macadamia nut cookie. My mother (who has dementia) gave her a piece of the cookie. I am suspecting what was in the cookie the piece she gave my dog had 2 small pieces of white chocolate. She is not exhibiting any signs and, in the past, my vet had said she will be okay but be careful and watch for the signs. He is closed for the afternoon and going to the ER room can be expensive but will do if need to. I am assuming - based on my past experiences with dogs, she will be okay but want to make sure.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. KV. Please give me a moment as I type a reply...

Frankie should be fine, as white chocolate is not toxic to dogs. Monitor for any signs of upset tummy issues....such as vomiting or diarrhea. The sugar and fat in the cookie could cause some indigestion.

The macadamia nut in the cookie can also cause upset stomach issues in dogs.

Based on Frankie's size, she would need to eat a significant amount of macadamia nuts to see symptoms. How large was the cookie piece?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much.....it is hard with my mom and so worried. We usually do not permit anything with chocalate in my house because of my mother giving human food to the dog - which is a huge problem but it is hard to watch every moment. Thank you, ***** ***** breathe now - it is my baby.

You are very welcome! I am happy to help with any other questions you may have.

Please take a moment to provide a positive rating if you were pleased with the info provided.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Katie Volat
Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian