Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Roxie) is 12...very moody about eating. When she does, she eats everything and it's seems she is starving (but...

Customer Question
Roxie) is 12...very moody about...
Roxie) is 12...very moody about eating. When she does, she eats everything and it's seems she is starving (but she will go a day or two). We don't give her people food, other than chicken for the most part (NO steak) and a lot of times she walks away from that. She looks up at us to feed her but she won't eat. She looks for her nightly treats (same time / all the time) oops... we put her pill in cheese, then doggie treats and then vanilla ice cream. bad owner (parents) RIGHT!!!........ ?????????????????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot? What confuses you?
Customer: is she old and just moody. like me........ or sick?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: not the i'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup isn't being a good eater for you - I'll do my best to help.

While it's certainly possible that her appetite is decreasing as a normal consequence of age and a slowing metabolism, it's important to have her checked out by the vet for medical problems. If she's losing weight or having any other signs of illness like vomiting or excessive thirst, then it's especially important to have an exam done and potentially some blood work. When I have older patients who are suddenly picky eaters, I always do a physical exam and a basic blood profile to make sure that their organs are all functioning correctly before I call it a behavioral issue. My own dog skips one meal out of three that I offer him - he's an 11 year old large breed dog. I am offering him the exact same amount of food that I've always offered him - he just eats less. I check his blood work every 6 months to make sure that there's no medical problem. As long as they maintain weight and have no abnormalities on physical exam and aren't doing any vomiting, I don't worry too much if they are picky eaters. Their calorie needs can decrease dramatically as they age and their metabolism changes. The best way to get her to eat her own food, though, is to create hunger by not allowing her to snack on people food and ice cream in between meals ;) They are not very different from kids in that regard!

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian