Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pug is 12 yrs old and I believe she is suffering from

Customer Question
Hello Dr, My pug is 12...
Hello Dr,
My pug is 12 yrs old and I believe she is suffering from constipation. what can I give her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as long as Missy is eating (since appetite loss can translate to less stool to pass), hasn't any belly discomfort, or has eaten anything that could cause a blockage; there are some steps we can take. Olive oil isn't a great option since it is too digestible to get very far in the gut and help hard stool to pass. So, that isn't something we tend to use. Though milk can be given as dogs are like little lactose intolerant people and can have increased gut motility with this. So, you can offer a 1/4-1/2 a cup to help get things moving. And as it cannot really be overdosed (we'd of course stop giving it if she had diarrhea or passed stool), you can repeat this as needed.

Otherwise, our other options we can try include OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. This should be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, you can also consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food as well. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink if she isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, if you suspect she is constipated then we'd want to consider giving her a bit of a "push" to pass feces. So, the above supportive care would be indicated for Missy. Of course, if you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today, see the signs I noted, or straining without feces; then we'd want to have her vet have a feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much. Dr. This is the first time I've encountered this problem with my baby Missy. I will try this.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you some steps to take for Missy & hopefully we can just get this settled for her without much bother.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

How if everything with your Missy?

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian