Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

My dog had surgery today and he is 15 or 16 years old. He

Customer Question

My dog had surgery today and he is 15 or 16 years old. He had a stone removed from his bladder, a small mass removed from his back and teeth cleaning. He did well. They will keep him over night with no one there. They open back up at 8:00 the next morning. I wonder should I take him home and watch him or leave him there. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Pearl, and I'd be happy to help you with your question.

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if your pet is being treated in any way overnight? For example, sometimes they keep them on IV fluids, or are given certain medications.

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

There is always a risk that something may happen overnight with no one there. That being said, most dogs are quiet and sleep after surgery. Many veterinarians choose to keep them so they can keep them quiet and in a small space, and be able to check on them in the morning prior to release to make sure everything looks ok. Your doctor would only be comfortable keeping your pet overnight if they feel that your pet is stable enough to be alone.

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

Did your vet ask you if you would like to take him home as an option? If you are not comfortable keeping your pet there with no one to watch him, but you still would like him to be watched or be treated, you also have the option to ask to have him transferred to and overnight or 24 hour facility after surgery. This is going to add some cost, but may give you peace of mind.

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

Does this help you? Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

I will be signing out for now. If I can answer any other questions, or if you need additional clarification, feel free to continue the conversation and I will answer you as soon as I can. If you are satisfied with your answer, please accept the answer and provide a rating to close out the question. Thank you!

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just wanted to check in and see how your pup is doing. Let me know if you have more questions!

Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 year ago.

How is your baby doing today? Hopefully everything went well overnight.