Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Toy poodle weighs 6 1/2 lbs injested small piece of 50 mg

Customer Question

Toy poodle weighs 6 1/2 lbs injested small piece of 50 mg lisinopril about 30 minutes ago. I quickly fed her 2 tsp can food in hopes it would absorb it. Wrong or right or what should I do now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much of the tablet do you think she has had?

How is she just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you and as this is a time sensitive situation, I do want to leave my thoughts so you can act right away. Now Lisinopril is a medication that we do use in veterinary medicine, but the risks are dose dependent. So, based on her weight, if she has less then 1/3rd of this tablet, we can breathe a sigh of relief. Any more and we need to act quickly as it would be an overdose. And just to note, signs to monitor for would be depression, lethargy, GI upset, wobbliness, sedation, low blood pressure, decreased heart rate, and collapse.

With this in mind (and since she has had this so recently), we do have a few options. The first one would be to induce vomiting to get this back out of her stomach. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, it does depend on how much of a small piece she had. If it was less then a third of a tablet, we can offset GI upset as needed. Though any more and we'd want to intervene to get the tablet out of her stomach as quickly as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didn't even injest 1/4 of it. It has been an hour now and she acts normal. It took forever to get to your answer bc instead of saying you didn't take American Express, it just kept saying the number was wrong and to type again. Once I put a visa number in, I got your answer. It was very frustrating!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

My apologies that the website was frustrating you. As I am sure you can appreciate, as a vet I have little control over the site payment options but will convey your frustrations to customer service. Anyway and most importantly, I hope you have seen what I noted above and if it was less that a quarter of the tablet then we can breathe a sigh of relief that it won't cause harm here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

How if everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.