Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I got home from work and my 2 yr old ma,e chihuahua wasnt

Customer Question
himself.he seemed frightened of something.and...
i got home from work and my 2 yr old ma,e chihuahua wasnt himself.he seemed frightened of something.and wasnt moving from where he was.then after a while he kept pacing and anxious and would sit on my lap then a few seconds leave and pace again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been like this?

Does he appear sore when you press on his belly, back, and feel his legs?

Any gagging, lip licking, gulping, retching or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Has he passed any stool or urine since this started?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he wasnt behaving like this before i left for work,only when i got home so maybe 7 hrs.Nothing sore and the usual licking his lips no drooling.he had BM less than 24 hrs ago.respiration is 20-22 breaths /min
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didnt pee or had bm.for the last 7 hrs.gums are pink no.gagging nor vomiting

Thank you,

And is there any sign he could have gotten into something?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you mean like ate something? No i.dont think so...he just seems more like he is afraid of something and he keeps putting his paw on my.face like he is trying to tell me something and.also i looked in his ears because he was shaking his.head like it was itching and it was clean. Are dogs able to see things we dont,if they do could that be.a.reason.for.his behavior, just curious

Thank you again,

Now he isn’t giving you much to go on with these non-specific signs. Though is positive that his breathing is normal, his perfusion (as checked by that gum color) is good, and that he has no obvious discomfort when you palpate him. And of course its good that there is no sign of a toxicity or harmful ingestion concern here. These all being normal do rule out a lot of urgent issues for him.

Otherwise, it is possible that he could be agitated not so much by something we cannot see, as something we cannot hear or smell. If there is something ongoing outside (ie noises, other animals, etc) then it can cause them to be agitated and stressed. So, that is a concern. Though if he isn’t keen to eat for us, then this does raise suspicions of possible GI upset (which can manifest as appetite loss without vomiting) since usually behavioral causes won't put them off food (especially when he has you near to keep him "safe"). Therefore, to start, we can considering covering that base with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board, we’d want to tempt him to eat. You can offer his normal food at that stage or an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Otherwise, we can try to address stress but this may be tricky if it is late where you are. Usually, we can use de-stressing treatments like Adaptil, Kalmaid, Zylkene, Bach's Rescue Remedy for pets or Composure. Most of these are OTC at vets and pet stores, but again may not be practical if it is late in your time zone. Though in the meantime, you could try setting him up a "safe haven." If he has a dog crate, you can put a dog bed in it, a towel over it and place it somewhere dimly lit to give him a place he can feel secure. We can also set up a similar set-up in a closet or spare bathroom. It would give him a place he can go to settle and feel safe if there is some anxiety to something in the environment. Of course, we'd want to keep an eye on him while he is in there and see if we can get him eating once he feels secure.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns .Its good that he isn't showing any signs of an urgent problem but we'd want to take steps to settle his stomach, see if we can get him eating, and provide a safe place for him to retreat to and hopefully settle for us.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Widget. How is everything going?
Customer

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian