Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My husky ate a Terro ant bait stake. She is 5 years old and

Customer Question

My husky ate a Terro ant bait stake. She is 5 years old and 80 lbs. the active ingredient is sodium tetraborate ie borax
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I would like to help with your question today. How long ago did you do eat this?

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Borax has a wide margin of safety -- generally dogs who ingested 1 - 6 g/kg may develop vomiting. Above that kidney damage is possible. So, to get to 6 g/kg, your dog would need to about 218 g (or 7.8 oz) of the 5% borax. You will need to check the package to see how many oz yours is but typically the small stakes are less than a half an oz each. The biggest concern here is if your dog swallowed large pieces of plastic then she could have GI irritation from the plastic.

If she only ate one sample and did not eat the plastic, no further treatment is needed. Monitor for any GI upset as this may occur.

Please let me know if you have further questions today.