Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been ticklish before but now he is everywhere.

Customer Question
just the slightest scratch on...
my dog has been ticklish before but now he is everywhere. just the slightest scratch on his back sends him kicking like he's being tickled to death
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bruno 5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?
Customer: he used to have dandruff and the vet told us to use chlorihexidine shampoo for a while
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago
Dani Rabwin

Hi this is Dr. Dani, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I'm happy to help with your dog. What is Bruno's breed? What are you using for flea control? The symptoms you describe are very concerning for fleas - our common over the counter flea medications have not been working as well this year as they have in previous years, so fleas may be a concern for Bruno. Please let me know any other relevant information and I'll be happy to make recommendations.

And please remember to rate me when you are satisfied with your answer as this is the only way I am compensated for my time.

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
bruno is half german shepherd half great dane. my husband does the flea medication and I'm not sure what he uses. how would i be able to tell if it is fleas?
Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago

Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's fleas - you just need to try a prescription strength flea treatment and see if he improves. Sometimes we are lucky and can see fleas or flea dirt (look for black pepper looking flakes over the rump); also, fleas classically affect the back half of the body. Where is Bruno most itchy?

Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi there I'm just following up on Bruno. Were you able to find out what flea treatment your husband uses for Bruno? Please let me know if you have further questions or if I can be of assistance.

Thanks,

Dr. Dani

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian