Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a Sealyham dog nearing 19,he has these problems 1

Customer Question
I have a Sealyham dog...
I have a Sealyham dog nearing 19,he has these problems
1 Deaf,blind one eye the other deterioating
2 Rear legs collapsed and can walk slightly if I lift him up
3Dementia,walk in circles etc before collapsing ,traps himself unable to get out
4 Have to watch him to avoid wetting carpet.
5Only relaxed when inside.
6 Drinks and eats OK
When or should I euthanise
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Gerald,

Sorry to hear about Taffy's problems, this is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Gerald,

Nineteen is such a good age for a dog, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

" When or should I euthanise " ?

Over the years I have often been asked this question, when is the right time to put a dog to sleep? There is no one easy answer for every case, each case is different. But whatever condition your dog is suffering from at the end of the day you know Taffy best and you will know if he is suffering unduly. My experience is that if an owner is asking this question then there are still good and bad points to weigh up. All you can really do is to weigh up these good and bad points, basically assess the quality of Taffy's life on a day by day basis, of course you know him best and obviously care for him so only you could make this decision.

Sooner or later a caring owner like yourself will just wake up one day, take a look at Taffy and say enough is enough. On that day follow your instincts, give your vet a call and make the arrangement to quietly put him to sleep, almost certainly you will be doing the right thing ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Gerald,

I am just checking back in to see how Taffy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning and to check if you need any further advice ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian