Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog went in the pool right after I put in Chlorine and a

Customer Question

Hi. My dog went in the pool right after I put in Chlorine and a PH Plus chemical which rapidly increases PH. Now hes throwing up amd his head in bobbing left amd right. Seems dizzy and unbalenced. What Do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am still awaiting a real answer. But I have already been charged.

Sorry for the confusion, I have been standing by following your phone call request to get your number so I could call you back.

Would you prefer a written reply rather than a phone call?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Written will be fine.

No problem, please give me ten minutes and I will type a reply out for you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Hello again,

I am glad you got back in touch.

To be honest I am worried about what may well be neurological symptoms your dog is suffering from such as dizziness, head bobbing and being unbalanced. While these may well pass on their own over the next 24 hours or so as whatever toxic element the dog may have ingested from the pool chemicals works it's way through your dog's system there can be no guarantees. For that reason it may well be best to have your dog checked over by a vet ASAP { And that would be my specific advice }

The vomiting is less of a concern as it would be common in this sort of situation where toxins are ingested, I can give you some common sense ideas on how to handle this aspect of what is going on:

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with vomiting and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon given twice a day is fine for smaller dogs ranging up to 2 tablespoons for large breeds.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the pool chemical episode ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Candida Gil. How is everything going?