Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Aussie had had her annual shots and bloodwork last week.

Customer Question
Her liver enzymes were high...
My Aussie had had her annual shots and bloodwork last week. Her liver enzymes were high, and after X-rays and a sonogram they discovered she had a tumor in one of the sections near her gall bladder. A vet surgeon confirmed with another sonogram and feeling around with his hands. He said he would remove as much of the tumor as possible, as well as the gall bladder. My dog, Princess, is 11 and a half years old. The vet said she was in good health; that I could leave it intact as he felt it was slow growing, but would not no for sure unless he performed the surgery. Should I request a biopsy first; do the surgery; or, let her enjoy the life she has remaining unless she begins to have serious problems?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Princess is having this problem.

Liver tumors can be very benign or can be very aggressive depending on the type of tumor.

The only way to know 100% what tumor you have present is to have a biopsy done. This is either done surgically (full removal) or laparoscopically (a small sample), or it can be done via ultrasound. The least invasive is ultrasound guided, however that provides the smallest sample so it is the least diagnostic. Before any of these are done, blood clotting times should be checked to ensure there is no major bleeding during any of these procedures.

The tumor may or may not cause a shortening of her life, depending on the tumor type. Some tumors can sit there for years without causing any major clinical signs.

If you elect to hold on surgery, I would recommend having follow up ultrasounds every 3-6 months to monitor the tumor for changes.

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can help you with. I will stand by and await your response.

Hi Tommy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess Female. How is everything going?
Dr. G.

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian