Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua has a bad back and we have been told he may

Customer Question
need to be put down...
my chihuahua has a bad back and we have been told he may need to be put down eventually for it. He is a rescue dog and is about 17 years old. He was diagnosed with back issues (most likely a herniated disc) about 3 years ago. He was given a dose of steriods which helped and I bought him a custom wheelchair which has given him a whole new life. He gets around great in it and usually does just fine. Periodically he has set backs in pain and I give him some aspirin until he feels better. It's usually when it starts to rain that he gets worse. However, he has recently (in the past few days) had a much bigger set back. He is just miserable. He is fine as long as he is lying down and undisturbed. However, he screams out in pain if I pick him up or move him at all. The aspirin does not seem to be helping this time. :(
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago
Dani Rabwin

Hi this is Dr. Dani, I am a small animal veterinarian and I am happy to help you with Emilio. He sounds well loved - it's great that he's done so well with the wheels! Recurrent back pain is certainly a problem once there is an initial problem like he had 3 years ago. Generally aspirin is not enough during these acute episodes (as you are noticing). Has your vet ever given you any other medications that you may have for him? He really should have prescription strength pain control and possibly even a muscle relaxant. Please let me know if you have any other medication for him at home. If not, then will you be able to take him in to an emergency vet today for evaluation and possibly injections of pain control? I think it's best that we not wait seeing as how much pain he is in.

Please give me any additional information and ask any follow up questions you may have. And please remember to rate me when you are satisfied with your answer as this is the only way I am compensated for my time.

Thanks!

Dr. Dani

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have any other pain medications for him. I have human pain medicine such as Percocet and Flexeril, but I don't have something else for him. I don't have an emergency vet available today, but he is calm and quiet if I leave him to rest.
Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago

I don't recommend those pain medications. I think since he is comfortable when resting then just keep him as quiet as possible. And then plan to get him to your vet in the morning from some stronger pain control.

I'll keep good thoughts for you and Emilio!

And please remember to rate me when you are satisfied with your answer. Thanks!

Dr. Dani

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. I did online research and found that the Tylenol in Percocet and the Flexeril are not good for dogs. I will stick with the aspirin and rest until I can get him to our vet tomorrow. I'm hoping they will agree to giving me some meds to have on hand for acute flair ups rather than suggest I put him down. When he is pain free (which is most of the time), he is such a happy fellow!
Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago

I think that's a great plan. I hope he does well!

Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago

I hope Emilio is doing well. I'd like to send a friendly reminder to please rate me. Just answer does not compensate me for my time until you rate me and let them know you are satisfied with the service you received. Thanks!

Dr. Dani

Dog Veterinarian: Dani Rabwin,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Emilio. How is everything going?

Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin