Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Male shepherd bleeding from s penis, looks like a uti I have

Customer Question
male shepherd bleeding from his...
male shepherd bleeding from his penis, looks like a uti I have Mertonidazole from a GI issue a month ago for him, should I give it to him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no very healthy 7yr old 100lb male
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

How long has this been going on?

Is he straining to urinate at all?

Does the urine seem to be red tinged, or just the tip of the penis?

Is he licking at the penis/prepuce very frequently?

Is he an intact male?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its been about a week, he just drips blood from his penis and seems to not feel well, not eating well.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
red tinged urin, yes licking a lot and yes unfixed

I see.

There are a few things this could be:

1) prostatic disease: inflammation or cancer of the prostate can cause this problem. Intact males are more prone to this than neutered males.

2) A urinary tract infection: unfortunately metronidazole won't target bacteria that cause urinary tract infections.

3) urinary stones: stones in the bladder or urethra can cause irritation and bleeding

4) bladder cancer: this can cause destruction of the bladder wall leading to bleeding.

5) injury to the penis itself: injury will often lead to self trauma (licking) which will make the area even more irritated and bleed.

I recommend seeing your vet tomorrow to have a good physical exam to look for these problems. They will likely want to look at a urine sample tomorrow as well to look for signs of infection. Further medical workup would consist of bloodwork and abdominal x-rays or ultrasound if there is no obvious sign of disease in the urine.

If you feel he is in any distress, I recommend heading to an emergency vet today. Otherwise keep him well hydrated and he can head to your regular vet tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you very much, we will take him in tomorrow

You are very welcome.

I wish you and your dog the best.

Have a great weekend.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Hello

I just wanted to check in. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. G.

I just wanted to check in with you. I see you have not yet rated this conversation. Is there anything else I can help you with at this time? Is there any other information I can help you with? Please reply back if you need any further help, otherwise please accept and rate this conversation so we know you no longer need our help. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian