Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 15 year old dog has urinary incontinence. It is due to

Customer Question

My 15 year old dog has urinary incontinence. It is due to discs in her back our vet said a while ago. My question is does this cause her pain. She still walks good but can only stand for limited time then her back legs become weak. We consistently are bathing her and clean up her urine. I am thinking about putting her to sleep but she still is so alert and seems fine otherwise. I just want another opinion because I an really torn up about making this decision. On one hand she is part of our family but it is getting so hard to take care of her. Your opinion is greatly needed.Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

Is she on any pain medications for her disc disease?

Is she on any medications for her incontinence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No neither.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I see.

Chronic disease disease is often painful, as is arthritis which she is sure to have at this age.

Incontinence is not typically painful, unless she is getting urine scald.

Arthritis is typically treated with dog safe NSAID medications such as rimadyl/carprofen, deramaxx, metacam/meloxicam, previcox, etc. They get a large amount of comfort from this. These are similar to human NSAIDs like ibuprofen, but much safer.

Incontinence can be treated with two different medications: Proin, a twice a day medication used long term; or DES (an estrogen) used weekly. The proin has less potential side effects (usually only upset tummy in a small number of dogs), so I usually start there.

Your vet can prescribe the pain medications and incontinence medications. I would start there. She will be so much more comfortable. If you feel she should be put to sleep that is your decision, however I would try these medications first if she was my dog to see if she moves around better, gets more energy, and seems more comfortable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will take her in
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I think that would be best.

Hopefully you can get her comfortable. I don't think either of you think its truly time yet.

I wish you both the best.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I just wanted to check in. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fluffy. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in with you. I see you have not yet rated this conversation. Is there anything else I can help you with at this time? Is there any other information I can help you with? Please reply back if you need any further help, otherwise please accept and rate this conversation so we know you no longer need our help. Thank you and have a wonderful day!