Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Can I give tramadol after l gave my dog Valium it was only a

Customer Question

Can I give tramadol after l gave my dog Valium it was only a crumb piece
JA: I'm sure Valium feels you are doing your best. What seems to be the problem with Valium?
Customer: He was on the floor when l came home from work and he couldn't get up he has arthritis . He also has had
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Valium. How old is Valium?
Customer: Valium is a med not a name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Valium?
Customer: He is post ectis but his hind legs are giving out and he does a floor crawl he is exhausted can l give him tramadol so he can rest the night
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Valium? I take it that was someone else's valium. Valium is not typically prescribed or arthritis.

How about the Tramadol. Is this his medication or someone else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Cecilia Morris DVM in Oceanside is my vet she prescribed it for his seizures that occur 3x a year I came home and he was on the floor couldn't get up this happens when I'm home he does the splits and l out him on carpet to regain footing . I talked with someone on K9 epilepsy yahoo she says her dog has done this too. She suggested tramadol that Dr Morris gave for pain he can't keep footing at all.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Understood. The valium can be a bit sedating, which would actually exacerbate the ability to walk.

Yes, I do agree that with any underlying joint issues, advanced arthritis, etc...Tramadol would be a suitable pain medication to help. However!

What you really need for the joints is a good non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl or Metacam. A NSAID may have a substantially bigger impact on overall mobility than Tramadol.

Tramadol, can also be sedating sometimes, which may not be advantegous.

Another thought is discussing with the vet about using Gabapentin instead.

Tramadol, recently, has been losing some favor because it has poor bioavailability when ingested. So, some times, it really needs to be given at higher doses to actually have benefit at reducing pain. Gabapentin can actually be more effective under certain circumstances. Just something to discuss with your vet.

So, Tramadol can be used for pain, but you really want to start a drug like Rimadyl for the joints.

Some people may argue that you should start a joint support supplement. However, there benefit can take over 4-6 weeks before anything is observed, so I would worry less about joint support at this point.

I hope that information helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to take him to vet tonight he gets a high temp and gets agitated and he might seize again? He has no movement forward cannot propel his body how could this happen in a few hours something must be happening this morning he was very strong dog does he need a good night rest?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I wish I could say, but too difficult without my own examination. Arthritis absolutely can have some days far worse than others.

Another consideration is that he may have had a unwitnessed seizure and that he is still in a post-ictal period. The period after a seizure can result in poor ambulation or no walking at all. This period can last for minutes to hours. Agreed, something may have acutely changed, but there is no other way to just make him move. So, even if he is upset with travel, the safest and/or most immediate way to get answers and a treatment plan is to get him to th vet as soon as possible.

I wish there were some other options, but without a good assessment to try and ascertain what has changed, that's not possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are saying exactly what my friend is saying regarding gabapentin haven't heard good about primary? He has a history of seizures a few a year so far he does a floor crawl then l stand him up and he is ok. Tonight he can't stand because of the episode on the vinyl floor where he couldn't get footing. How long does gabapentin take to start working
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Depends on the patient and the severity of their condition. I would suspect it could help with some pain issues within a few hours of administration. But, for overall joint mobility, a NSAID would probably have a greater impact on him getting around.

Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving, it is greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I will need to retire for the evening. I will hang out a few minutes just in case you have a follow up question. Otherwise, I can still reply in the AM pacific time, if I was unable to cover everything for you.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?