Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dog's nd legs are stiff and slide out from under her when

Customer Question

My dog's hind legs are stiff and slide out from under her when she tries to sit. She is also having episodes of one leg twitching as if to scratch but not scratching. It seems uncontrollable. She will move and lay on to the twitching leg to get it to settle. When I watch her walk away, this right hind leg is also "leaned" inward rather than square under her body. She's a 12 year old ***** ***** who suffers from anxiety (loud noises and some separation). Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you noticing any swelling associated with the right hindlimb? Any trouble walking up and down stairs? Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No swelling at all. No injury detected by me. Stairs? She follows me up the stairs several times a day...occasionally missing a step. It's definitely not as easy as it used to be fore her. Going down the stairs seems no trouble at all. No medications.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Did this come on gradually or all of a sudden? With her age I would intially be worried about arthritis. Jack Russels can commonly get arthritis in their knees or hips. Another issue that is common is small breed dogs is a condition called a luxating patella. This is where the knee caps moves out of its normal position when they try to walk or sit. Other issues would be some type of degenerative nerve disease which can occur in older dogs as well. This is because in older dogs the nervous tissue can start to breakdown and cause problems with walking.

She may need to be placed on some type of joint supplement and possible anti-inflammatory to see if that helps her with her movement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. The stiffness and twitch? have come on gradually....more on an occassion and not the norm. But the stiffness is becoming more normal and now the twitching (not sure that's the best word for it) is becoming more frequent too. I don't think her knee cap is moving in/out of position.....

You are welcome. The twitching can indicate that there is some discomfort with the joint and the leg its self. if it is arthritis the joints develop alot of changes that cause them to become more stiff. You can look into a joint supplement called Glyde. It contains a ingredient called Green lipped mussel. It seems to work for a lot of older dogs especially ones that can't handle anti-inflammatories.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look into that supplement for sure. The twitching is strange. It's as if she needs to scratch....or kind of like when you are scratching a dog and you find a spot where they back foot starts thumping? She isn't actually scratching though. And I've checked her ears, etc. they are clear. She's on heart guard regularly.

Is she lifting her leg at all? Does she only do the twitching when she is standing? I have seen dogs do that when they were uncomfortable and it is usually confirmed when it stops once they are on some type of medication. I sometimes have to prescribe a medication called Gabapentin which is a pain medication as well as a anti-seizure medication to see if it helps as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is lifting her leg just like they do when they are 'thumping'. It happens when she is walking, laying down, and sitting. It's not constant but it is frequent. When she's laying down she will move from one side to the other until it stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that she is actually itchy and that reaction is from an itchy spot? Just wondering because we've found that she has some allergies. We have had to change her food several times to eliminate corn and then chicken. We thought she was doing well on the food she is on now though.

Yes it is possible that she is having allergies and she may be too uncomfortable to actually scratch. In addition to the food changes she may need to be on some medication to help relieve some of the itchiness that she is experiencing.

Many dogs can have both food and environmental allergies. So changing the food is often just part of the process to help with these allergies

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's still having the same problems. Not worse, but the same. Thanks for following up. Going to change her dog food this weekend and see if that helps. Concerned about environmental allergies she might have.... is there testing for that? Ugh. Might be running into to much expense for us to do testing....

You are welcome. There is testing to check for environmental allergies. Your veterinarian can due blood tests and there is a skin prick test as well. Also I have used a sensitivity assessment test that uses hair and saliva sample. There is a company called Glacier Peak Holistics that has the ability to run these tests. You can request that your veterinarian order a test for you to see if you can gather any information from it.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne