Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shorki is just licking and licking her nose. she won"t drink water, and when we try to give her water through...

Customer Question
my shorki is just licking...
my shorki is just licking and licking her nose. she won"t drink water, and when we try to give her water through a syringe, she coughs like she has a sore throught. what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Maddie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see she won't drink; is she eating? If she can eat and swallow, that is a good sign.

If she is licking her nose a lot, she might be nauseous, or have a runny nose from allergies or a respiratory infection. If I could, I would take her temperature, palpate her lymph nodes, listen to her lungs with a stethoscope, and try to look as far into her mouth and throat as she will allow.

For coughing you could try 1/4th of a teaspoon of Robitussin DM (only the DM formula) twice daily.

Let me know if she is eating, and if her gums look a normal pink color or not.

How is Maddie doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote and sent. Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian