Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Found m bleeding from what looks like an abcess on s right

Customer Question

Found him bleeding from what looks like an abcess on his right front elbow this am. Bleeding pretty bad. Worried he will bleed to death but don't know if I am over reacting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No. He is a senior but otherwise in good health
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is unlikely that a dog would bleed to death from an abscess. If you look at his gums, are they pink or pale in appearance? If his gums are pink, he is not losing too much blood. Direct pressure may help slow the bleeding, and some might a cool compress like a bag of frozen peas.

The elbow is a common site for a "hygroma", swelling and fluid and blood and sometimes infection, especially in larger or overweight dogs. These are usually treated with antibiotics, bandaging, and pain medication. If this is a hygroma, I like a bandage called "Dog Leggs" for covering and protection. You can find these online.

He probably needs to see a veterinarian for treatment and antibiotics.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. How is he doing? Let me know if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing?