Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My puppy is 8 weeks old. He has been lethargic. s belly is

Customer Question

My puppy is 8 weeks old. He has been lethargic. His belly is very warm as is his nose and tongue. He has a rare barking cough. Did not eat dinner and threw up a small amount. He had Ben swimming in the ocean the prior day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Sweet little Oscar may have ingested a large amount of salt water while swimming which could cause an issue with his digestive tract. The best thing to do for Oscar now is to fast him for 12 hrs which he is doing himself and give him Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound of his weight every 8 hrs. After the fast, feed him a small meal of rice and boiled chicken which is a bland diet that will help his digestion. If he does not respond within the first day, take him to your vet since a case of hypernatremia or increased salt intake in such a young and small puppy can be serious.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta