Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is teriyaki harmful to dogs? I gave my 3 YO, female Boxer

Customer Question
Ridgeback mix some deli chicken...
Is teriyaki harmful to dogs? I gave my 3 YO, female Boxer Ridgeback mix some deli chicken breast w/ teriyaki on the edges. The next morning, she vomited on the carpet. It was about 2 C. of red-orange substance w/ some undigested dry food. Later that day, after running errands, I came home to find about the same amount of diarrhea on the carpet. Although it was darker, it also demonstrated that same red-orange hue. I poured H2O2 on it in order to detect blood. It didn't fizz but that stool wasn't picked up or experimented on for 24 hrs. That night, I walked her & she dumped about 1/2 C. of reddish ooze twice. Of course, I withheld the suspect chicken, cut way back on her various treats, & made her some plain white rice of which she only ate about 2 T. Her stool has always been soft despite trying various dry food combinations.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Chris, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Bonnie is unwell. I will do my best to help with your question.

First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

​1) How long ago did she eat the teriyaki? Was it cooked or raw?

2) Is/was she appearing depressed, lethargic? Any further vomiting?
3) Is she eating and drinking normally now? Is the diarrhoea still occurring?
4) Did the teriyaki contain garlic or onions? Any idea how much garlic would it have contained?

Based on the ingredients of teriyaki recipes I found on the internet, it's not very likely to be toxic unless it contained an absurd amount of garlic or onion. Those two ingredients (both in the onion family of plants) can cause damage to red blood cells and result in anemia if eaten in high quantities. This anaemia is most commonly seen as weakness, lethargy, pale gums, yellow gums, laboured breathing or even collapse. Other than that the other ingredients appear relatively harmless.

It is always possible to cause gut upset when any new food is introduced suddenly, particularly if the food is rich or fatty. Usually the gut upset is only temporary and resolves on a couple of days on a bland diet. Another possibility if the gut upset is persistent, is bacterial gastroenteritis. This would be more of a concern if the meat was raw, but can also occur if a dog is inclined to "save some for later", as this would allow any surviving bacteria to grow and multiply on the nice, warm, nutritious meat.

I would probably stick to feeding Bonnie her regular food, especially if she is prone to producing soft stool with various dry food. There are some good, complete premium dog foods out there, such as Royal Canin Gastrointestinal and Hills i/d or z/d, which are very helpful in managing dogs that struggle with sensitive guts or dietary intolerances.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian