Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I have a 1 year-old Westie puppy and as I was m, I noticed a

Customer Question

Hello,I have a 1 year-old Westie puppy and as I was petting him, I noticed a small, pea-sized(maybe slightly larger) movable lump by the back part of his rib cage on the right side. It is on the underside of the rib cage. It didn't seem to hurt him when I pressed on it (felt somewhat soft, almost rubbery). It definitely can be moved. I wondered if it is a lymph node? I couldn't find anything on the opposite side. Should I be concerned? Should I bring him to my vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your puppy's troubles. Lumps can have any number of causes. Fortunately, there aren't any lymph nodes in the area you are describing. Since it is very mobile and soft, chances are it is a cyst of some kind. Dogs commonly get what's called a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous glands are the oil producing glands of the skin and when they get plugged, you can end up with a lump filled with a thick, greasy substance. Dogs can also get fluid filled cysts.

You're options are to monitor it for any changes in size, shape or consistency and to monitor your pup for any changes in appetite, activity level, etc. Or, your best bet would be to take him to a vet and have the lump checked out. You never can be too careful when it comes to lumps.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk